Hung Hei Gun
The “Tea Merchant” Jyu (Jyu “Gu cha”) a.k.a. Hung Heigun was born in the Fa district of Gwongdung province making his living in Fukgin trading – as his nickname implies – in tea. According to legend, Jyu was a distant relative of the Ming imperial house; among his ancestors is said to have been the 15th son of the last Ming emperor, prince Leung, originally named Jyu Manjung. After a quarrel with the Ching nobility, he went into hiding and finally found refuge in the Fukgin Siulam monastery, where he was admitted as a lay apprentice. He started studying gungfu; thanks to his talent and diligence, he soon became one of the personal pupils of Ji Sin himself. The abbot especially taught the young man the hard and ferocious techniques of tiger claws. Soon, Jyu became one of the best fighters of the monastery, who were known as the “Ten Best Siulam Apprentices”.
After the southern Siulam was razed to the ground, the survivors dispersed all over southern China. Neither oral nor written tradition implies that Jyu and his master Ji Sin ever met again. Jyu was taking part in illegal anti-Ching activities, hiding on the “Red Junks” and secretly teaching martial arts in the monastery of the “Great Buddha” (Daai Fat Ji) in Gwongdung. To avoid Ching pursuers, he changed his name to Hung Heigun. The traditional interpretation is that by this name he meant to honor the memory of the founding first emperor of the Ming dynasty, Hung Mou (1368-1399).